Lately, we’ve been learning a lot! While we haven’t been married forever — nearly four years — the on-going discovery of one another has been incredibly fun, and quite an adventure. In the book The Meaning of Marriage, there is a quote that stands profoundly out to us, “For marriage, being [the enormous thing it is] means we are not the same person after we have entered it. The primary problem is . . . learning how to love and care for the stranger to whom you find yourself married.”
How does this same concept apply to every other relationship we have? We are surrounded by incredibly amazing people with stories to tell, journeys to share, wisdom to impart. Are you interested enough to hear them?
“You are never, never standing in front of a human being who’s not interesting. They are created in the image of God and whether 18, 8 or 80, a thousand interesting things have happened to them. Nobody’s interested in them. Nobody asks them about the interesting stories they have to tell from when they were a kid or how they got that scar on their face or how anything happened to them. Nobody’s interested. What if you were? What if you found them really interesting? You’re a human being created by God! You’re not on this planet by mistake! Things have not happened to you except by the providence of God! If anybody should be interested in other human beings, it should be Christians who believe they’re all created in God’s image and they’re all on the planet for a reason! And just by your interest, you’re communicating you must think you have something to learn from me? well you bet I do. You are a human being. You are a center of consciousness. You have an access to God that I don’t have. You are different. You’re outside of me.” – John Piper
Tune in to hear the latest episode of The Hope We Hold: People Are Interesting!
In this episode we discuss:
- How life will change you! And why it’s up to us to enjoy that journey of discovery.
- Why we need to keep exploring, discovering and searching for one another!
- Finding people interesting and how that adds meaning to your own life journey.
- John Piper clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwUpqayTFg&t=151s
- Tim Keller The Meaning of Marriage: https://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Marriage-Facing-Complexities-Commitment/dp/1594631875
- C.S. Lewis quote from The Weight of Glory https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Glory-C-S-Lewis/dp/0060653205/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lewis+the+weight+of+glory&qid=1593030718&s=books&sr=1-1
- If you have any questions you’d like us to discuss on future episodes. Feel free to send them in to CONTACT@hopewehold.com.
- James 3:9
Follow us on Instagram: